We need to purchase another vehicle. Our old van has seen better days and we need a reliable vehicle to take our children to doctors, hospital, school, collects supplies and take goods to market.
Consider $100 per month = $3.33 a day
Consider $50 per month = $1.66 a day
Consider $25 per month = $.83 a day
The operating costs of the children’s home is ongoing. We have set up 3.5 acres of farming land, have cows, sheep, chickens and goats which we sell excess crops, eggs and milk. However there is always a shortfall due to weather conditions or otherwise. Ongoing maintenance is always needed.
FRUIT ORCHARD FENCING $1500 per package
Fencing off our fruit orchard is a necessity to keep our goats out of the area.
Kenyan power is not reliable. For us to have backup power we need a generator to be able to pump the water from the borehole to the crops and also to service the children’s house.
We are raising our own meat animals in the form of sheep, goats and chickens on our farm for food for our children.
Hundreds of thousands of tourists come to Diani Beach each year and want to help in some way once they see the poverty-stricken living conditions. Signage is the best way to inform tourists of our future work and direct them towards our site to see the progress we are making. Purchase a sign with a few friends or on your own. We have 5 signs to construct.
RECOGNITION: your business logo/name or your name will be recognised on the sign that you support Umoja Orphanage Kenya.
Biogas is a clean and renewable fuel (similar to LPG) allowing you to cook and have lighting with renewable energy. Biogas is made in a biogas digester. It is called a digester because it is a large tank filled with bacteria that eats (or digests) organic waste and gives a flammable gas, called biogas. Biogas digesters use waste products from farm animals and organic waste.
Kenya is very, very dusty. After construction we will need to start the reforestation of our grounds to make it aesthetically pleasing for our children. 20 reforestation packages are required.
- VAN SPONSORSHIP – purchased 2013
- PERIMETER FENCE SPONSORSHIP – completed 2013
- GATE SPONSORSHIP – completed 2013
- COW SHED SPONSORSHIP – completed 2014
- DAIRY COW SPONSORSHIP – completed 2015
- PROJECTS TOWARDS SELF-SUSTAINABILITY SPONSORSHIP – completed 2015
- ELECTRICITY SPONSORSHIP – completed 2015
- SEPTIC TANK SPONSORSHIP– completed 2015
- BOREHOLE SPONSORSHIP – completed 2015
- BULL SPONSORSHIP – completed 2016
- CHICKEN SHED SPONSORSHIP – completed 2016
- CHICKEN SPONSORSHIP – completed 2016
- FURNITURE SPONSORSHIP – completed 2016
- WATER TOWER BEDSITTER SPONSORSHIP (1 LEVEL) – completed 2016
- WATER TANK SPONSORSHIP – completed 2016
Thank you to all the Rotary Clubs, businesses, and individuals who have fundraised and donated to these completed projects.