Do you want more than just another holiday?
Could a community benefit from your time and skills?
Umoja Voluntourism – A Unique Experience
Voluntourism allows you to visit a foreign country while simultaneously volunteering your time towards a meaningful cause. Volunteering with Umoja gives you a great opportunity to assist a community aid project that is giving orphaned and vulnerable children a second chance at life. Whether you are a Rotarian or just love volunteering and enjoying meaningful experiences, you will have a rewarding and life changing experience like no other. You’ll love the authentic safari after your hard work and the chance to interact with the local community.
Some of our photos after volunteering. Now it’s time to get to know Kenya, it’s people and the magic of it’s land.
What we ask of Umoja Volunteers
- Do you want to give something back to the community?
- Do you want a life-changing experience?
- Are you excited by travel to remote locations?
- Do you love interacting with people in authentic ways?
- Would you appreciate up-close experiences with wild animals and ancient tribes?
- Do you want to build new cross-cultural friendships?
- Can you work cohesively within a team?
- Are you able to cope with limited and delayed availability to resources?
- Can you handle working for long periods in the heat?
- Are you tolerant and respectful of cultural differences?
- Can you manage communication barriers?
- Do you have a lot of patience?
If you answered YES to all of these questions, then the Umoja Volunteer Program is for you. Travelling with an experienced and passionate tourist as your guide takes the stress and worry out of the planning and preparation. All the paperwork and details are taken care of before you depart, which allows you to concentrate on immersing yourself in amazing Africa.
We are going as a tour group and your safety is our priority. If you prefer to be a solo person and do your own thing, this is not the tour for you.
At 2016 years end, 72 volunteers from Australia have worked at the project and concluded with a well earned safari. Tours are approximately 16 – 18 days, but if you want to stay on or travel further afield no problem.
Tour groups numbers are limited as we take groups of up to 10 -12 people.
In 2017 we are taking 3 volunteer groups to Kenya to assist at Umoja.
2017 TOUR DATES:
MARCH 21ST – APRIL 6TH
SEPTEMBER 12TH – SEPTEMBER 25TH Optional add on 5 tour to Rwanda including trekking mountain gorillas
NOVEMBER 11TH – 25TH NOVEMBER
Contact cathy@umojahome to find out what to expect on an Umoja Orphanage Kenya ‘Voluntour.’ Be passport ready.